Located in the midst of nature surrounded by endless forest, Nectart, in collaboration with Espronceda - Institute of Art & Culture & On Mediation_Platform on Curatorship and Research, presents its art residency program offering a community-based living and working experience for local and international emerging artists. The residency is a unique opportunity to delve into the artistic and creative process enjoying rural environment and a great opportunity to connect with Barcelona art scene.
Nectar is a non-profit cultural organization located in the midst of nature in the off-the-grid 16th-century farmhouse, surrounded by endless forest inside Les Guilleries Natural Park, about 1h and 30min drive north of Barcelona.
In its Artist Residency Program, Nectar will work in collaboration with Espronceda - Institute of Art & Culture and On Mediation_Platform on Curatorship and Research, an initiative of the Research Group Art Globalization Interculturality (AGI) from the University of Barcelona.
The culmination of the residency will be an exhibition at Espronceda's exhibition space, one of the most innovative contemporary art centers in Barcelona. Artists will present their works within the frame of the Art Nou Festival. The opening will be on July 8th 2021.
The artists will have the chance to present their work in an Open Studio event and gather along with guests and cultural agents from the local art scene, enabling a space of conversation and feed-back. A one-day visit to exhibitions, art spaces, artist’s studios or other events in Barcelona will be organized by Nectar’s team. During their residency, the artists will have access to Nectar’s administrative and human support and to its network with local artistic and cultural community.
Participants will live in a big private furnished bedroom
Daily food supply / self-cooked
Studio Spaces & Facilities
Studio spaces vary according to the proposed projects and media. Individual space and shared working studios are located in the main farmhouse. Indoor and outdoor spaces (two terraces, a patio, the land of the property and a 60m2 Moroccan tent) are open to the artist’s practice. Artists are also encouraged to use the nature and the environment that surrounds us as their workspace. Artists will have access to studio and workspaces 24 hours a day. The fully equipped-kitchen and the two bathrooms are shared.
Pick-up/drop off at Vic train station.
The residence is addressed to emerging artists (up to 35 years old)
Artists must submit a project proposal that gives the reader a a clear understanding of their intended work
Applicants must submit one PDF document (up to 10MB) including the following information by using the online application form:
-Portfolio (Up to 10 images and up to 3 links to videos)
Documents can be written either in English or Spanish
February 7th - April 12th 2021
Announcement: Results will be announced on April 20th 2021.
The Jury is composed of
Tai Lomas & Olga Sureda, Nectar’s co-founders
Savina Tarsitano, Holger and Henrik Sprengel, co-founders of Espronceda - Institute of Art & Culture
Anna Mª Guasch, On Mediation’s co-director
Grants & conditions
Nectar will give 4 grants
- 1 Full grant (100% funded): No costs / Confirmation of the stay at the residency must be done within one week after the announcement. The granted artist will donate one work
- 3 Partial grants (50% funded): 650€ / Confirmation & Payment must be done within one week after the announcement.
Grant for Material & Production
Each one of the 4 artists will receive a grant of a 125€ for Material expenses.
• 3 weeks residency at Nectar
• Group Exhibition at Espronceda Institute of Art & Culture
• Opening event within the frame of Art Nou Festival
• Material grant: 125€ x artist
• Project's statement and texts by On Mediation's team/collaborators
• Professional photos of the works done during the residency and of the exhibition
• Design and production of the Price-List
• Interactions with local agents (curators, writers, art critics) through Open Studio
• One day visit to Barcelona artistic scene
• Private bedroom
• Private and Shared working studios
• Food supplies
• Access to Nectar equipments
• Communication and social networks
• Pick-up/drop off at Vic train station.
• Transport Nectar-Barcelona for the exhibition at Espronceda
• Travel costs
• Work-shipping at the end of the exhibition