Wheel Throwing Professionalization
July 11 @ 11:00 am – July 14 @ 2:00 pm
Take the next step in your ceramic practice in the wheel throwing professionalization course with teacher Evan Powell.
This class is part of the 2022 Ceramics Summer School Program >> Read more here!
This 16-hour intensive workshop is developed over 4 days, in sessions of 4 hours each. You will work with an electric wheel.
- Start working with terracotta
- Throwing techniques when working with larger amounts of clay
- Throwing in two parts
- Throwing stoneware
- Lids and galleries using calipers and rulers
- Closed forms
- Throwing off the hump
- Trimming pieces
- Understand the importance of making good attachments
- Solutions on how to solve and avoid some common problems
- Decorative techniques: sodium silicate, stained slip and clay, clay additives like ilmenite and grog
- Power of repetition finding your mark, building a cohesive body of work
- Instructions and suggestions about how to make your own tools to help in your work flow, such as templates and custom ribs
- Throwing porcelain: challenges and advantages
- Finish up pieces
- Previous wheel throwing experience is required;
- Classes are formed with a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 7 people to ensure a personalized attention
- All of the tools and materials are provided